BY Julie Jones | May 19, 2015 10:19 AM EDT
Five k-drama actors that debuted as children are set to become the next generation of Hallyu stars. They are following in the footsteps of previous child actors such as Moon Geun Young, Jang Geun Suk and Yoo Seung Ho, by slowly making a successful transition to more sophisticated roles.
Which stars with recent drama credits first got their start as child actors? Here are five.
1. Yeo Jin Goo plays the smitten and potentially bitten male lead in "Orange Marmalade." He first appeared in the film 'Sad Movie" when he was only 8 years old. By the time he played a younger version of actor Lee Jun Ki in the 2008 drama "Iljimae," he was a veteran actor, having appeared in seven films and three dramas. If you haven't seen this actor in anything for a while, check out "Orange Marmalade." He is all grown up.
2. Kim Yoo Jung recently played Kim Hee Sun's bullied daughter in "Angry Mom." The 15-year-old actress had her first film role when she was only 7, appearing in the movie "DMZ" and has appeared in 18 films since then. This year she can be seen in the film "Joy." She also had her first drama role in 2004 and "Angry Mom" made 28 dramas on her resume. She appeared with Yeo Jin Goo in two dramas, "Iljimae" and was his destined true love and princess in "The Moon Embracing The Sun."
3. Kim So Hyun plays twins in the drama "Who Are You - School 2015." She's a girl who was bullied and also her twin who bullied others. She also appeared in "The Girl Who Sees Smells." Kim So Hyun played Kim Yoo Jung's young rival for the affections of Yeo Jin Goo's character in "The Moon Embracing The Sun." She wins them in "Missing You" when she and Yeo Jin Goo played the young Park Yoo Chun and Yoon Eun Hye. Kim So Hyun was only 7 when she appeared in the drama "Ten Minute, Minor" and 9 years old when she had her first film role in "My Name Is Pity." Her credits so far include six movies and 28 dramas.
4. Kim Sae Ron debuted at age nine, appearing in "A Brand New Life." Her first drama role was two years later in "Can You Hear My Heart?" The 14-year-old recently appeared in the drama "Hi! School - Love On" and can be seen in the drama special "Snowy Road." In 2014 she could be seen in three films. "Manshin: Ten Thousand Spirits," "A Girl At My Door" and "Manhole."
5. Jin Ji Hee appeared in the recent drama "Seonam Girls High School Investigators" and can be seen in the 2015 film "The Throne." The 16-year-old was only 4 years old when she appeared in the drama "Yellow Handkerchief." She also had a role in "The Moon Embracing The Sun," playing Yeo Jin Goo's sister. She was only six when she had her first film role in "Cello."
Given their great track record, these young stars should have no problem making the transition to full-fledged Hallyu icons.
Latest Photo Slide Shows