BY Jervis Gonzales | Jul 30, 2014 04:23 PM EDT
FIFA is on the process of gathering information on the alleged racism directed at Manchester City player Seko Fofana in Croatia last week.
The 19-year-old athlete claimed that he was subjected to the abuse during the City elite development squad's friendly against HNK Rijeka last Tuesday. On Thursday, it was confirmed by the Football Federation of Croatia that they will be looking into the allegations and also, FIFA has contacted both Croatia's Football Federation and the Football Association to investigate and confirm more facts regarding the matter.
"We are aware of the incident," said a FIFA spokesman. "In this respect we are in contact with the relevant member associations to enquire and monitor the situation."
According to the FIFA spokesman, they will be in a position to further evaluate the concern once the relevant data and information are gathered.
FIFA is takes a firm stance and has zero-tolerance against any discrimination and racism. This is included in the FIFA Statutes in article 3 which stipulates that "Discrimination of any kind against a country, private person or group of people on account of race, skin color, ethnic national or social origin, gender, language, religion, political opinion or any other opinion, wealth, birth or any other status, sexual orientation or any other reason is strictly prohibited and punishable by suspension or expulsion."
The FIFA spokesman also mentioned that this article is further developed in the FIFA Disciplinary Code and the FIFA Code of Ethics. There must be no space for racism in football, he said, but recent incidents show us that the fight is not over.
SPONSORED FROM AROUND THE WEB
Latest Photo Slide Shows