BY Julie Jones | Feb 11, 2016 10:39 AM EST
Sung Yu Ri recently snagged the leading role in the upcoming melodrama “Monster - 2016.” Although her last small screen appearance was in the 2013 drama “Secret of Birth,” she has kept busy with film roles, most recently appearing as a diva actress in the 2015 omnibus drama film “Summer Snow.”
During her career she’s faces criticism for her acting but she’s worked hard to improve her craft and these days she is happy with the results.
Here are a few more facts you may want to know about this beautiful actress.
1. Sung Yu Ri debuted as a member of the k-pop girl group Fin.K.L, which stood for Fine Killing Liberty. They were one of the first Korean idol groups and quickly became popular, releasing four albums. After the fourth album, Yung and her bandmates Ock Joo Hyun, Lee Hyori and Lee Jin focused on solo careers.
2. Sung was born in Germany. Her father Sung Jong Hyun, a professor of theology, was studying there at the time. Sung's family returned to Korea when she was four years old.
3. Sung had her first leading role in the 2003 drama “Thousand Years of Love.” To play a Baekje princess who time traveled to modern day Korea she learned horseback riding and martial arts.
4. It took her a while to win respect for her acting. In 2006 the Korean media outlet Chosun Ilbo voted her the “worst singer turned actor.” When she was cast in the historical drama “Hong Gil Dong” in 2008, the Hong sisters were criticized for casting her but her performance eventually won praise.
“Singers-turned-actors tend to be less fearful of cameras, which is an advantage,” she said in an interview with the Korea Times. “But because they are often high-profile when they make their acting debut they are often prone to cold criticism. The criticism can be hurtful but I’ve realized that it is a sign of interest and one most overcome it.”
She rarely faces crititicism at this point in her career.
5. In “Monster - 2016” Sung Yu Ri will play the leading role opposite Kang Ji Hwan. It will be their third time time working together. They both appeared the drama “Hong Gil Dong and in the action-comedy film “Runway Cop,” which involves a detective who goes undercover as a fashion model for a drug case. Their kiss scene provoked comment and that was what she hoped for.
“The film is a comedy film, so it doesn’t emphasize the romantic aspect very much,” said Sung in a 2012 interview with enewsworld. “I wanted to show it could be a deep romance through that one kiss scene.”
“Monster - 2016” will air in April 2016.
Latest Photo Slide Shows