BY Julie Jones | Apr 21, 2015 09:54 AM EDT
K-dramas are a fun way to learn about Korea and check out many of the local attractions before planning a trip there.
But occasionally, k-dramas are also set in other countries. Sometimes they are actually filmed on location but sometimes the drama producers create a set that simulates a recognizable foreign scene.
The two most popular countries to either film in or pretend to film in are the U.S. and Macao.
1. "The Heirs" actually filmed in the U.S., shooting its opening episodes in California. So, California-based k-drama fans can enjoy seeing Lee Min Ho and Park Shin Hye on their own turf. And they got to see Lee Min Ho surf. Viewers also got to see Los Angeles-from the gritty poor neighborhoods to the beautiful seaside home of Lee Min Ho's young chaebol character.
2. "Kill Me, Heal Me" had opening scenes in the U.S., although it is hard to tell whether they actually filmed Ji Sung there or just used technology to morph him into some shots of streets lined with Brooklyn brownstones.
3. "Rooftop Prince" also had scenes that were supposed to be in New York but they didn't seem very realistic. Han Ji Min is working at a street fair when Park Yoo Chun discovers her. Park Yoo Chun also spends time with his murderous cousin, played by Lee Tae Sang, in a New York-style bar. That interior seemed realistic although it could have been a New York-style bar in Seoul.
Next up in popularity is Macao. At least three k-dramas filmed scenes there.
4. In "Boys Over Flowers" Lee Min Ho and the rest of F4 vacation in Macao, bringing along Gu Hye Sun and Kim So Eun.
5. In "Princess Hours" the princess played by Yoon Eun Hye leaves the royal life to live simply in Macao.
6. And in "Fated To Love You" Jang Hyuk and Jang Nara accidentally wind up in bed together in a Macao hotel. He's there to propose to his girlfriend, which is not her. She's there with a guy who should be kicked to the curb.
Hungary is the next most popular k-drama location outside of Korea. "Iris 2" and "Doctor Stranger" both filmed there.
7. "Iris 2" filmed scenes in Budapest.
8. "Doctor Stranger" scenes featured Lee Jong Suk and Jin Se Yeon on a motorcycle riding around the Hungarian National Gallery in Budapest.
Can you think of any other dramas filmed in countries beside Korea? Let us know.
Latest Photo Slide Shows