BY Julie Jones | Sep 02, 2015 11:24 AM EDT
Rising star Lee Sung Kyung has taken a role in the highly anticipated webtoon-based drama 'Cheese in the Trap." She plays the beautiful but icy Baek In Ha in the drama that also stars Kim Go Eun and Park Hae Jin.
"It′s an honor to be joining a great piece," she said. "As it′s a webtoon I really like myself, I′m really excited and will try my best not to disappoint fans of the original."
The drama also stars Seo Kang Joon and Nam Joo Hyuk.
The rookie actress has done well since her debut in the drama "It's Okay, That's Love," and landed a starring role in "Queen's Flower." Here are some facts you may not know about this actress.
1. Gong Hyo Jin is her role model. Lee was happy to meet Gong when they co-starred in "It's Okay That's Love." Gong was nicer and even more professional than Lee imagined.
"I fell in love with how she acted at the filming site," said Lee in an interview with the Korean media outlet Newsen. "Although she was probably really hurt from a car accident, she never expressed it and endured it until the end. Even though the injury didn't heal all the way and her stitches might have come undone, she endured it. She put the skin-colored tape over her stitches and acted as if nothing was wrong. She didn't express her pain because she didn't want to make the staff members worry. As I watched her, I wanted to become an actress like her."
2. Lee debuted as a model. She competed at a local Super Model Contest in 2008 where she placed 11th and won the Lex Prize, and also in the international Asia Pacific Super Model Contest in 2009 where she placed 5th and won the Unix Hair New Style Prize. And that was only the start. She went on to walk runways for the top designers and shoot commercials for some top products. During the 2014 F/W Fashion Week, she walked the runways on more than ten shows. But now she is focused on acting. She enjoyed modeling but acting is her dream.
"These fashion shows are a memory now and thinking about how it could be the last time made it a touching moment," said Lee in an interview with etoday. "I even cried on my way to a fitting session once. Acting means that people will see me in a different way."
3. Lee plays the piano. She was a student at a music school when she followed a friend's recommendation and entered the super model contest.
"I have played the piano since I was seven," said Lee in the etoday interview. "Piano was the number one thing in my life. At first I rejected the suggestion that I could be a model."
But her friends encouraged her not to limit herself so she entered the contest. And the rest is modeling-acting history. She is represented by YG Entertainment and YG Plus.
4. Lee appeared in several music videos, most recently appearing in the "Two One Two" video for Urban Zakapa.
5. She enjoys working hard and admits that when she gets restless when she is not busy.
"I'm working on my acting these days so when I have some free time I want to get back to work and be busy again. When I'm busy, I don't have time to take a break, but when I actually have time to take one, I get restless."
What does she do in her spare time? She likes to catch up with friends, go to cafes, read and work out.
It's likely that this rising star will be busy for some time to come.
Latest Photo Slide Shows