BY Joan MacDonald | Dec 16, 2013 09:54 AM EST
2013 was a year in which many kdrama actors got a chance to shine, but a few shone just a little brighter and deserve to be nominated for breakout stars of the year.
1. Without a doubt Kim Woo Bin is the year's biggest breakout star. The model-turned-actor became a trending topic as Park Heung Soo in the high school drama "School 2013" and then rocketed to fame as the vulnerable villainous Choi Young Do in "The Heirs." This year he also appeared in the film "Friend 2" and his commercial bookings have doubled.
2. His "School 2013" co-star and fellow model Lee Jong Suk also had a great year. He played the clairvoyant Park Soo Ha in the hit drama "I Hear Your Voice," then played a competitive swimmer in the film "No Breathing." He also had a role in the award-winning film "The Face Reader."
3. Actor Jung Woo became a fan favorite in the nostalgic drama "Reply 1994." He has appeared in dramas and films before, most notably playing Seo Jin Wook earlier this year in "You're The Best Lee Soon Shin" but it was his portrayal of the character Trash that proved his most endearing to date.
4. Choi Jin Hyuk has also acted for a while but it was his role as the mountain spirit Wol Ryung and Lee Seung Gi's gumiho dad that encouraged viewers to take him more seriously. After that he delivered a star turn as Lee Min Ho's brother Kim Won in "The Heirs."
5. Lee Da Hee so convincingly played Seo Do Yeon, the prosecutor with a secret, in "I Hear Your Voice" that she quickly snagged a role in one of the year's other memorable dramas "Secrets," playing Ji Sung's not-so-nice rich fiancée.
6. It has also been a good year for Lee Yeon Hee. She played Lee Seung Gi's mom in "Gu Family Book," was engaged to Taecyeon in "Marriage Blue" and now stars in a new drama "Miss Korea" about an ordinary girl that a village will transform into a beauty contestant
7. Ha Yeon Soo made a splashy debut this year. She appeared in two dramas, "Monstar" and "Potato Star" and her first film "Very Ordinary Couple." In "Monstar she played transfer student Min Se Yi, who helps calm the tempestuous Yoon Seol Chan, played by Beast's Yong Jun Hyung. In "Potato Star" she played neighbor Ha Yeon Soo.
8. Child actress Lee Chae Mi deserves a breakout award for her work in "Two Weeks" and "One Warm Word." Maybe being an adorable child is not really work for the actress but she is so heartbreakingly sweet in "Two Weeks" as Lee Jun Ki's daughter and so smart in "One Warm Word" as Han Hye Jin's daughter, you can see the adult actors struggling to contain their "awwww" expressions.
9. and 10. The award for breakout couple of the year has to go to f(x)'s Krystal Jung as Lee Bon A and CNBlue's Kang Min Hyuk as Yoon Chan Young in "The Heirs." These k-pop crossover stars attracted plenty of positive attention for their sweet interactions.
Latest Photo Slide Shows