Actor Jang Dong Ju Horrifies Fans With Graphic Video After Sudden Retirement Announcement

Tags

South Korean actor Jang Dong Ju is causing controversy after the release of an image of him torturing himself in an effort to gain attention, which has prompted concern among netizens about his mental state.

 Jang Dong Ju
Jang Dong Ju https://www.instagram.com/j__dongju/

Per Koreaboo, the controversy occurred on May 22 when the actor, who had recently retired from the entertainment business because of accumulating debts, shared a video that showed him hurting himself by injuring his pinky finger. The video quickly spread online and drew criticism and concern from viewers.

Jang Dong Ju
Jang Dong Ju Screenshot via Koreaboo Koreaboo

Per MMT, in the clip Jang claimed he had cut off his innocent pinky finger as a symbolic act tied to promises he believed he had failed to keep throughout his life.

According to statements shared in the video, the actor reflected on repeated disappointments involving himself, his family, friends and colleagues.

Jang Dong Ju
Jang Dong Ju Screenshot via Koreaboo Koreaboo

READ MORE: 'I'm Sorry': Jang Dong Ju's Cryptic Post Sends Fans Into Panic—Agency Rushes to Respond

"Promises I broke thousands of times to myself, countless promises I failed to keep to family, friends, acquaintances, and colleagues, and the unfulfilled promise I made to my father," Jang stated as reported by Naver. "I hated this pinky finger that made all those unfilled promises, so I cut it off."

The disturbing upload immediately triggered intense reactions across social media platforms and Korean online communities, with many users expressing fear for the actor's well-being and urging him to seek professional help.

In a later apology, Jang addressed the backlash, explaining that the video was not meant to be a threat or to indicate suicidal thoughts.

In his apology statement, the actor acknowledged the shock caused by the upload and said he was receiving support from those around him.

"I am truly sorry for posting a video in which I abuse my own body," he said. "This video was not intended to threaten anyone or imply suicide, but rather to engrave a resolution for my own wrongful life. I am currently regaining my composure and receiving treatment and support from my family."

The incident comes shortly after Jang revealed his retirement from acting while discussing significant financial difficulties. Reports also noted that he previously conducted a live broadcast announcing his retirement without informing his agency beforehand, further fueling speculation about his personal struggles.

Join the Discussion

Latest News